Friday 1 November 2013

The best Chocolate Zucchini Muffins I've EVER had!

I had this very large zucchini to use up. 


I went through tons of sites online trying to find a recipe. I couldn't see anything that really enticed me so I decided to go with the beloved chocolate zucchini muffin. I was really craving something chocolaty so I googled Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins and this was the recipe I found.



Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

Yield: 12

Prep Time: 10 min.

Cook Time: 20-25 min.

Total Time: 30-35 min.

Ingredients:


1 cup flour
1/2 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder, sifted
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
2 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups shredded raw zucchini

Directions:


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a muffin tin with cooking spray.

Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon together in a bowl, stir until well combined. Toss in the chocolate chips and mix.

Whisk together the eggs, oil, sugars, and vanilla together until well combined. Add the zucchini and mix. Slowly add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture until just combined. Spoon evenly into the muffin tin.

Place into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before placing them on a cooling rack to continue cooling. Serve & enjoy.

-For the love of cooking website
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


This seemed like a very straight forward recipe so I decided to give it a try. I doubled it so we'd have enough for our neighbours.

First I wanted to take care of my zucchini before Aubrey joined me. I sliced it in half and scooped out the seeds. Cut it into manageable pieces and grated 3 cups worth and set that aside.

In a large bowl I measured all of the dry ingredients, including the chocolate chips and had Aubrey give it a mix.

Meanwhile in the mixer; we mixed the eggs, sugars, oil and vanilla.

Added our grated zucchini to this and mixed well.

Lastly we added our dry ingredients to the mixer and just mixed until incorporated; making sure we didn't over mix.

Aubrey was ready to do a taste test!!  I had to post all these photos...note the caption is "mmmmmmyummy"!


Lined muffin tins and filled them 3/4 full.

I baked these for 20 minutes and they were perfectly cooked.


These are the best chocolate zucchini muffins I have ever had; they are VERY chocolaty and sooooo delicious. They are moist and the chocolate chips inside are a great addition.  The muffin tops are crunchy and give a great textural contrast. WOW I probably won't try another zucchini muffin recipe for a while. These are quite reminiscent of the Double chocolate chip muffins from Costco minus the 5000 calories...well I don't actually know the nutritional information for this recipe but I'd say they are worth every calorie!

11 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say, these are delicious and so easy! My boys (aged 4 and 2) devoured them and didn't even notice the added vegetables. Will be my go-to from now on thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE zucchini muffins! Plus chocolate? I'm sold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A hit! I doubled for 24 large muffins and cut out a bit of the sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Recipe ingredients call for 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini, but further down you state you grated 3 cups worth of zucchini. Can you confirm the amount of zucchini? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there the recipe is correct at 1&1/2 cups; sorry for the confusion I had made a double batch!!!!

      Delete
  6. I've made a lot of choc-zuc muffins over the years but these really are the best. They're perfectly delicious without chocolate chips but a little extra special with them. We're drowning in zucchini from the garden (when will we learn?!) so it's great to have delicious ways to use it up and justify all the grating and freezing I'm doing, too. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you ever so much for sharing this recipe! My mum made the most amazing chocolate zucchini cake, which I make all the time, but it doesn't double well for muffins. I can't wait to try your recipe!!

    ReplyDelete